8 years to be precise, from 2004 to 2012 – India has witnessed the UPA1 and UPA2 coalitions, and may see 2 more years of UPA government if the coalition partners and supporters from outside find it a safe-bet politically to support the government at center, which has been strangled by many corruption scams and media attacks.
But let us have a quick glance on the positive impacts made by this government as it is given in PMO’s twitter account, titled ” Turning Reforms into Reality” – a statistical report which explains India achieved not only spectacular economic growth, but also development in many crucial social fronts in both rural and urban areas.
Achievements of UPA Government in last 10 years
- More people own houses: More than 44 million families moved into their own houses during the last two 5 Year Plans – People living in owned houses is 69.2% in 2011 as against 63.1% in 2001.
- More Tap connections for drinking water: Nearly 38 million houses obtained tap water connections during the last decade – Percentage of houses as having tap water as source of drinking water increased from 36.7% to 43.5%.
- Concrete roofs: More than 34 million households acquired concrete roofs over their heads in 10 years(20% to 29% – 2001 to 2011)
- Telephony: Telephony reached 137 m houses in 10 years – second fastest growth in the world.(9.1% to 63.2%)
- Electricity connections: More than 60 million households got new electricity connections just in a decade(56% to 67%)
- Banking services:More than 77 million households connected to banking services in a decade(36%-59%).
- LPG/PNG connections: More than 37 Million households obtained LPG/PNG connections in 10 years(18% to 29%).
The figures are surely impressive, but the area where UPA 2 lagged behind were the policy paralysis in the initial 3 years of UPA2 due to coalition pressures as well as the plethora of allegations like coal and 2G loss to exchequer.